key width

Larry J. Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:03:40 -0700

The extra width of the two sharps may have been to make the tail of the D
the same width as the tails of the other white keys that lay between two
sharps.  I don't remember how long ago it was but there was an article in
the Journal about the different width of the tails due to the 5key set C
to E and the 7 key set F to B and the mathematics of getting this all to
fit into an octave.  This is a fun thing to show clients that the D tail
is larger than the others and is readily demonstratable by just using a
finger to feel the difference.  After reading the thread on this I see
that this may not always be true, but in my experience it has been.