key width

Larry J. Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:12:06 -0700

This may be due to wanting to make the tail on the D the same width as
the tails on the G and A keys.  There was an article in the Journal some
time back on this and the difficulty of mathematically fitting the 5 key
C-E and the 7 key F-B in the octave.  I have found on all the pianos that
I try that the D tail is larger than the others and have fun pointing
this out to clients who can feel the difference. No ruler needed.

On a side note, I am continually amazed (shouldn't be anymore) that
graphic designers and artists who I believed to be visually oriented,
continually get keyboards wrong.  They seem to want to make the spaces
between the white keys meet the center of the sharps, and this only
happens with the G#.  This makes for some very unplayable  keys for
anyone who would want to play between the sharps instead of on the fronts
of the keys.  Manufacturers of pianos who have graphic designers draw
keyboards are just as bad as others.

Larry Messerly,RPT
Phoenix, Prescott