What we charge? (Shuush!)

Jerry Hunt piano_tunertx@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 06:58:56 -0800 (PST)

In 1995, in connection with one of the chapters in my
Randy Potter course, I did a business survey. I got
out the phone book and called a number of tuners in
the area and asked how much a tuning costs. The range
was $45 - $90. The $45 quote was from what sounded
like a crusty old codger (apologies to the crusty old
codgers on the list). As I recall, the mean was around
$60-65. When I started tuning for pay, I charged $55.
I was then and still am a moonlighting tuner.

My standard tuning/service fee (which includes
checking out the piano, tightening plate screws,
adjusting the damper pedal, tightening bench bolts,
easing a few keys...) is $60. Most of the RPT's I know
charge $75-$90 (I also know another associate who
charges $75). I give a discount to piano teachers
(most of my business comes from piano teacher
referrals) and churches.

I charge an additional $30 (1/2 of standard tuning
rate) for each pitch raise - most of my tunings are
pitch raises. I love pitch raises - they increase my
cash flow.

I've done tuing for a couple of dealers. Usual
arrangement is $25 for floor tunings, $50 for outside
tunings and $40 for warranty tunings.