strange particles

Bill Springer bake@spa.att.ne.jp
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:41:52 +0900

Terry,

I have no idea what your mystery particles are, however I agree that they
are not termites. FWIW, termites come in different types and they is
definitely a type which like to live in pianos! We take many of these to the
dump every year. Termite "droppings" look like sand, and you will find
little piles of the stuff around infested areas.  BTW, by the time you see
the piles the termites are well established and the piano will have to be
professionally fumigated.

Bill Springer, RPT
Hawaii Chapter

bill.springer@wapin.com
http://www.wapin.com

<snip>....I have had the top lid open several times in the last week. But
all
>these possibilites proved negative. So now I am wondering: What is this?
>Termite eggs???? I have not detected insects of any kind. Anyone care to
>hazard a guess? Im stumped!
>
>Terry Peterson
>"RPT in Training"
>Los Angeles, CA

Definately  not termite eggs.  Termites can only live underground.  They
build mud tubes above the surface for the "workers" to go up for food.  The
queen hangs out underground to lay eggs and boss around the workers.  No
word yet on whether the workers have to charge tax on their labor.

If you were in this part of the country and had a humidifier running I
would suggest calcium deposits from the water vapor.  Maybe your cat has
dandruff and has recently taken to sitting on top of the piano...8)

chris