Gas Out!

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:53:27 -0800

Hello all,

I thought this might be worth sending along.  Sounds like a good
idea to me!

>  Dear Friends,
>
>  Have you had enough of the out of control gas prices yet?
It's time to take action!  OPEC,
>  (Oil Producing Export Countries), has become united in a
severe production cut back agreement in
>  an effort to greatly increase the costs of oil.  Americans our
now paying the highest cost for gas in
>  ten years and there appears to be no end in sight.  There is
however a possible resolution provided
>  that ALL Americans can agree to participate.
>
>  Beginning February 10th everyone is asked to begin a serious
personal gasoline boycott.  Obviously
>  as an industrialized nation it is impossible for us to cease
using fuel.  Greatly reducing our fuel usage for
>  a temporary period, however, can have a dramatic impact on oil
suppliers and producers, significantly
>  pressuring OPEC to break up their strategy.
>
>  Beginning February 10th ALL Americans are asked to participate
in the following for AT LEAST
>  one month or longer:
>  1. Car pool as much as possible.
>  2. Refrain from long road trips, even if it means altering or
postponing weekend activities.
>  3. Walk to the grocery store, (exercise is a good thing).
>  4. Plan activities close to home which involve the least
amount of travel.
>  5. When driving accelerate slowly and reduce your speed to
conserve fuel.
>  6. If you live in a cold climate and use heating oil, reduce
the temperature on your thermostat as
>  low as you can possible endure. Where a jacket or heavy
sweater and use electric blankets instead.
>  7. Purchase only low grade gasoline, (87 octane).
>  8. Use ethanol fuel if you live in an area where it is
available.

>  Discipline is the word.  Together we can let fuel suppliers
know that we have had enough!  A
>  combined effort can reduce our fuel consumption but the
millions of barrels!

>  Please forward this message to everyone on your mailing list
as well as all television and radio