lead weights

BRPIANO007@AOL.COM BRPIANO007@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:31:33 EST

Pat W and list,
I want you to know that I didn't design the pianer (you got that right) with
a plate brace at such an angle to the first and second string of the tenor
break as to require a damper head 1 1/2 inches in length. The next damper up
was twice as long with 4 damper felts. The one in question had 1 damper felt
3/4 of an inch long. The rest of the damperhead was cut at such an angle that
no felt could be glued to the bottom.
Basically the back half of the damper head was there for show.  Seeing that
there was not as much wood or felt on the damper might have been the reason
the string had bleed-through due to lack of weight. Adding the lead  did
bring the touchweight up, but fifty grams? I think not.

Did I try other options.......you bet.
Was I told that money was no object and take all the time needed to change
the design............no.
Was everybody happy with the results........everybody but me. I knew it
brought the touch weight up. But again I didn't design it. The damper now did
its job. There are a lot of trade offs in this business.
Is it something I do on quality pianos........no, that kind of FIX is not
necessary.
Did I lose sleep over this repair.........not a wink.
Can you tell me a better way?

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful list,
Respectfully,
Shawn Theriot
Associate, PTG
Baton Rouge Piano Services