fabulous brass tarnish remover

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:36:30 -0600

A few words of caution about the use of chromic acid. Remember it's actually
removing the outside layer of brass material so it will remove brass plating
almost instantly (test pieces with magnet before dipping).

Although it works wonders on stampings it can be a big problem on cast brass
pieces like leg ferrules, pedals, and the lid catch pieces on old Steinways.
Back when I still had someone else doing my hardware he used chromic acid
(platers refer to it as bright dip, BTW) on a M&H set that had cast pedals
and ferrules. The chromic acid lodged in the pits of the cast brass and
leached back out into the new lacquer about a week after finishing. He
refinished those pieces 3 times (without the acid of course) using special
rinses and even trying to bake the acid out in an oven. We never were able
to completely remove the acid and the piano was delivered with little brown
splotches on the pedals and ferrules (although greatly faded after the third
time around).

Richard Anderson