pitch raise time

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:42:38 -0600

>... I can do a pitch raise in 10 minutes...After I do a pitch raise,
>I spend 45 - 60 minutes tuning the piano...
>...I hope that clarifies my position...
>Wim

Yes, it does, Wim.  Thank you.

Today I decided to time a pitch raise and tuning.  Since I have been doing
university tunings for the faculty this month along with the other daily
work, I am at the best I could ever be for tuning pianos, and today I felt
especially good.

I used RCT on both pitch raise (-29 in some places) and final tuning pass.
The piano was a 1971 Yamaha U1 with which I am very familiar.  The pitch
raise, including strip muting, took no more than 18 minutes, the final
tuning pass, including strip muting, took 32 minutes.

I was quite surprised at the time of the final pass.  There is a
possibility the pitch raise time could be reduced by me some if RCT
calculated each note's overpull faster, or if I could incorporate a
technique that would maximize that time delay.

Glad this thread came up !

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731