Loud Overtones From String

dale r fox foxpiano@juno.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:50:22 -0800

Joel,
	depending on the make of the piano,  this could be scaling problem or
(more likely) a string winding problem. One Asian company is notorious
for the lousy sound of their strings proudly made on their computer
controlled lathes.  If you want more info on makers that fit that
description,  post me privately and I will give you my humble opinion.
Otherwise,  Jim Sr's post was excellent on other possibilities.

Dale Fox

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 23:07:24 EST JCSwafford@AOL.COM writes:
> Dear List,
>
> I work for a dealer. I have received many complaints concerning loud
>
> overtones from some unisons. Pianos of every manufacture have them
> I've
> noticed, especially from the bass strings. Voicing the hammer and
> seating the
> strings does not help. About the only solution I've found is to
> needle the
> hammers excessively, but of course the tone is ruined then and out
> of balance
> with the other hammers.
>
> Only their Chinese customers find this to be a problem. They think
> the piano
> is defective with these extraneous noises emanating only from 1 - 5
> unisons
> in the piano. I perceive the problem to be scaling oriented, but do
> not know
> how to explain to the customer why it only occurs with certain
> unisons and
> not others.
>
> Has anybody found a good way to deal with or explain to the customer
> the
> nature of  this problem? It has nothing to do with sympathetic
> vibrations,
> the overtones are not pure, and they come from a single unison.
>
> Waiting for your thoughtful reply.
>
> Joel Swafford, RPT

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.