in-the-home boring jig

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:24:51 -0800

bases-loaded@juno.com wrote:

> I am looking for any ideas that will facilitate boring single hammers in
> the customer's home when the shank has broken off bluntly right below the
> hammer head (vertical pianos).

Mark,

The best Journal article on the subject appeared in the Feb. 89 issue
(Vertical Shank Replacment, by Fern Henry & Bill Spurlock). Briefly, the
authors describe a way of removing the old shank by drilling a hole in
the remaining shank to receive a drywall screw. After soaking the hole,
the screw is heated to soften the glue and the screw and shank part can
then be extracted with a shank extractor.

The beauty of this method is that the hole you have just created is
perfectly drilled. It just needs to be cleaned out with a 7/32" drill.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA