antecdotal voicing, kinda long

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:53:31 -0600

> After listening to the piano
>and what the customer was saying it was obviously a 'voicing problem' but
>even more of a 'perception' problem................................

>  We all need to carefully voice our hearing to 'what' the customer is saying
>and not how it is being said, because only then can we use our skills to addre
>ss the 'real' problem and not just fool around with the symptoms. I know that
>I need a shot in the arm like this occasionally to keep me attentive :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Absolutely! Many times I've stood at the piano while the customer starts
with "You will probably think I'm crazy, but...", and ended up showing her
what it was she was hearing, feeling, etc. After we get the problem
resolved, and she brings up the subject again, I'm careful to offer the
disclaimer that, "just because you know what you're talking about, doesn't
necessarily mean you're not crazy anyway, you know". I never assume that a
customer with a complaint is hallucinating, or just being a pain in the ...
but instead, I try to get them to help me DEFINE the problem, and we chase
it down together. It saves their credibility and mine, and gets them
working with me instead of standing back making demands. Since I don't
exactly look the part of the Better Homes and Gardens Piano Tooner, I can
usually get away with a few conversational liberties that get them thinking
along slightly different and more productive lines. That is, if they'll let
me in the door in the first place.

PS: Though it has been difficult on a couple of occasions, and despite
rumors to that effect, I have never been convicted of strangling, or
attempting to strangle a customer.

Ron N