s&s hammers

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 11:08:55 EST

In a message dated 1/15/2000 11:50:00 PM, Arlan wrote:

<<"As I am not a contributing member of the list I feel somewhat hesitant to
offer my opinion.">>
Arlan;
 First of all never feel "hesitant" about offering your opinion it is welcome
here as are the opinions of all.

 Secondly though perhaps we need to give Rob  the benefit of the doubt.....
perhaps when he said "they bite", vis a vis S&S hammers, he was referring to
the brittle quality of over "alternatively prepared" S&S hammers rather than
any of the myriad 'other' possible meanings ;-)

<<"One only needs to listen to some of the recent (and past)
recordings of Steinway pianos with major artists to appreciate the results.">>

 Tis true that there are legions of recordings of S&S pianos which are
exemplary examples of what a S&S, well prepared, can sound like....Tis also
just as true that listening to the recordings will not tell you how the
hammmers were prepared or even if they were S&S hammers.  Then there is the
matter of which S&S hammer it is? Generic S&S hammer? Renner S&S hammer?,
Abel S&S hammer? NY S&S hammer, etc.?

 Nay listening to recordings should not lead us to believe that each and
every recording represents the 'typical' S&S hammer even as listening to a
recording of Horowitz does not tell us that his instrument(s) were regulated
in the 'typical' S&S fashion. Recordings are rather like fossils in that we
can tell what it is but not why it is, rather like we can tell that
pterodactyls probably could fly but not 'how' they flew.

  To think that S&S hammers are some monolithic entity is to abuse historical
reality and one size 'doesn't' fit all. A S&S hammer of today would feel out
of place next to a S&S hammer of 25, 45, or 100 years ago. For those who
insist on authenticity and feel surfeited because the 'parts' came from S&S,
god bless them....but non the less apropo are those who feel that the
instrument may be well served by "alternative" hammers rather than
"alternative tecniques regarding preparation".  Thinking that given all the va
rious 'favorite' means of "alternative" treatment ranging from what Del F.
would do, through what Rob G. would do and at the low end of the scale what
Jim B. would do, would yield anything like a 'typical' S&S hammer, or sound,
just flies in the face of reason...doesn't it?

  Yes there is a place for "genuine" S&S hammers in my shop, just not often
when I have the say so and 'almost' never on a piano that I own.  S&S hammers
are good quality, but are they the 'best' quality for what you are doing?
This is a question that each of us must answer for ourselves and our customer
and the individual instrument..................fortunately Arlan there is no
'one' correct answer and equally fortunately we have a large selection of
equally viable alternatives to select from today Thanks to Lloyd, Wally,
Ernie, etc.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)