steinway

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 16:44:27 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: dale r fox <foxpiano@juno.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 14, 2000 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: steinway

> Good pins.  Are you replacing the block?   If so,  the extra quality you
> will be paying for (consistency of diameter)  will help the final feel.
> If repinning the old block,  the consistency of feel will be erratic so
> the pins won't matter as much.   ( Not as consistent size as Diamond
> brand).   I have no problem with Denro pins except that the bluing is
> only on the head. Maybe someone more informed than I can tell us if that
> makes much of a difference.  . Nickel oxide,  forms over time,  is a
> pretty good lubricant.  I haven't used nickel plated pins forever.  I
> don't even broach the subject with clients.  What they don't know won't
> confuse them.

We use Nipon Denro pins exclusively.  Our preference is for blued pins, but
if the customer really, really insists we will use nickel.  Again, we use
only Nipon Denro because they use nickel only on the exposed head, the
threads are still blued.  The only problems we are aware of with one of our
blocks came from a rebuilder using a German made pin which had nickel
plating on the threaded section.

Del