tuning video?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:46:09 -0600

Terry,

It can be done, but I don't know about getting unisons beatless with another
string wanging.  I can get them pretty close, but in the scenario you
described (pitch raise 1/2 step), even if it were possible to get beatless,
it would not be worth the effort since they wouldn't last for more than a
couple seconds.  :-)

I have used this when pitch raising with a SAT, but since I do mostly aural
work now, I strip mute the entire piano, tune middle string, then re-insert
strip mute, muting off every other left-right adjacent strings.  (I'm sure
there's a better way to describe this muting procedure, but that's all I can
come up with now.)  Pitch raising this way can be done in 20 minutes or
less.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of pianolover@worldspy.net
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 12:26 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: tuning video?

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for "tuning videos"....it's
been a great help!

Here's a new question: In order to save time during a pitch raise, is it
possible to do so WITHOUT using mutes? Can the ear be trained to tune 2
strings of a trichord unison beatless, while the third string is vibrating
as much as a 1/2 step lower?  Do any techs on this list use this method when
pulling up a piano, at least during the first pass? Just womnering. Thanks

Terry Peterson
Los Angeles, CA

Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com