A question on temperament-Dale

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:49:15 EST

In a message dated 1/13/00 6:38:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wardprobst@cst.net (Ward & Probst) writes:

<< In total there will be 7.5 hours of temperament
 classes not devoted to equal temperament. It is my hope that anyone who is
 interested in learning more about this subject will attend these classes.

Thank you very much for this info, Dale.  I had a good feeling that things
were getting better and I see that they are.  It would nice too, if
somewhere, one of the public performances had a piano tuned by Ed, Dave or
myself.  The more that people hear real music played on the piano as it is
usually played but in a different temperament, the more that people's
perceptions and feelings about this subject will be normalized.

In my opinion, the mistake that was made with the Baldwin recital was that
the use of another temperament was not announced to the public.  This
confused some people and made others feel as though they had been deceived.
A piano returning to the Yamaha C&A pool in 1/4 Comma Meantone was also and
understandably a shock.  The first thought in the mind of that technician was
that deceit was the intention when it was not, in any way.

My sincerest regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin