Counter bearing treatment

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:08:37 -0500

Richard and Brian,

Del is the brighter (and noisier) experimenter of this bunch and knows
far more than I about this subject so I will stick to some
generalities.

> Is there an ideal shape / size of termination?

The consensus is round with a 1/16" radius

If you carefully examine a good agraffe you will see the inside is
shaped like a nicely rounded doughnut.  This is critical to know if
you are going to "reshape" agraffe holes.

There is always going to be some leakage across terminal points simply
by the nature of energy flowing through a spring.  Energy going past a
terminal point is energy lost for our purpose, volume and sustain.
There may well be a "best" form of termination but I don't know what
it would be since you can find two and three types of front "bearing"
types on one piano.

I have know several outstanding pianos that used agraffes throughout
and some that were not so outstanding that did as well.

I believe the capo de tasto bar was invented to save time and effort
and a stronger system mechanically and not because it is inherently
superior.  My opinion.  Just consider the amount of work involved in
88 agraffes!!

I have also observed that what the person at the front of the piano
can hear is very different that heard just five feet away.  By the
time the sound reaches the back of a hall it is nearly impossible to
tell one brand of piano from another brand if they are voiced
similarly.

Instead of concentrating on duplex termination I think a greater
return would be in concentrating on soundboard and bridge
performance.  The less compliant the bridge the more noise beyond
terminations.

Duplex bars should not be made of steel because the electrostatic
bonding of similar metals can cause rust bonding and certain metals
gall when under stress.  These are the reasons brass nuts are used to
hold exhaust headers on, they will not bond to the cast iron.  Brass
is a good material because it is available in many types, sizes and
styles, does not gall, looks pretty, does not corrode the same as
steel and is easy to work.

The lower the angle of deflection after terminal points the more noise
can occur especially under heavy blows.

The high the angle the harder the tuning because of rendering problems
and ultimately tuning stability.  I think anything under 12 and over
15 degrees will cause problems.

Look through the archives for past mumblings from Del and get copies
of his articles on the subject from the Journal.

On those noise duplex systems, I have fond that careful unison tuning
and non speaking string tension can help a lot.  Look at the situation
and see how you might change the system without tear down.  It may not
be possible but sometimes the duplexes are movable.  Not likely with
the strings on but it may be possible.

I have exhausted what I think I know although there may be a nugget or
two buried somewhere down there in the empty well.

		Newton