Counter bearing treatment

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:27:44 -0500

Hi Richard and all counter bearing thread followers.

Another question that came to mind while perusing the thread was the -shape-
of the termination.  I'm thinking specifically of the capo bar, but it
certainly wouldn't be limited to the capo bar.

Is there an ideal shape / size of termination?  I've seen a lot of
variations from close to a 1/2" diameter sized round over to almost a sharp
point.  I suspect neither are correct, but what is correct?  Does an
appropriate termination shape change throughout the scale, or get sharper or
less sharp as you go up the scale?

According to Willis Snyder, it doesn't need to be hardened steel or sharp,
and suggested that (I thought he said) 3/16" drill bit stock would work well
as a new capo surface.

Interesting thread.

Any thoughts?

Brian Trout