Unison coupling

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:51:37 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>           I've done quite a few measurements on the string coupling effect.
>When an average 3 string unison is tuned for full blush (RCT) on each
>individual string,
>2 strings played together will show about 0.3 cent flat, 3 strings will
>show 0.5 cent flat.
>I'm not so sure what the imformation is telling me.
>Regards Roger

Roger,
Over what range of the keyboard do you find this affect? 0.5 cents seems
alot to me (i.e. I think I'd better be compensating for it if it's that
wide!). My recollection of Jim Coleman's writings on this subject is that
it occurred mainly in octave 5. What brand & model of piano are you
measuring this on?
Thanks,
Patrick Draine