Tune it where it is

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:03:27 -0500

> Normally as you add tension that's all you do, and if the tension is
> released the wire regains it's former shape and size.

Good response Conrad.

There is one further issue not normally covered.

When pulled to pitch a strings gives up about 95% of it's
stretchability in the first five minutes of tension.  The rest occurs
over a period of about five years and acquires a permanent deformation
called "CREEP".  It is creep that causes a string to go out of tune
when it is new.  It reaches a point of equilibrium with the tension
after the five years and will not stretch further unless pulled to a
higher tension.  Creep is a calculable quantity but for our needs
tension and breaking % show us how much creep can occur.  That is why
bridge makers have turnbuckles attached to the vertical support
cables.  They have to be turned to keep the roadway level.  Same
principal in piano wire.

		Newton