Counter bearing treatment

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:54:45 -0500

Dear Richard, and incidentally list,

Have you opened a can of worms!!!

OK let's look at a couple of things here.

> I am not sure if the geometries of where the tuning pins have to be

Good termination of speaking lengths are defined by the angles of
deflection of the strings from the primary termination, v-bar, capo
bar or agraffe or agraffe pins.

On upright termination is done through the use of pressure bars.  The
deflection should be only enough to prevent the strings from dancing
on the v-bar during a hard blow.  More deflection is undesirable
because the string renders poorly.

On grands the string deflection is provided by bars or felts behind
the agraffes or capo bars.  Same criteria applies.

> It might be that to have a grand action that up strikes strings means
> the strings must be within  x amount in height from the action.

Wrong direction.  Whatever the string height the hammers need to be
bored to equal the height of the strings from the keybed and minus the
height of the hammer centerpin.  Most else is irrelevant with certain
exceptions.

> Thus to fit a pinblock full of pins right above the action, the pin block might
> have to occupy a higher level than the strings.

Observation will show this to be contra-indicated.  Plate thickness,
string height, pin height, angle of deflection all contribute.

> If the pins must be higher than the strings then you have problems of necessarey plate structure to accomodate this.

Chickerings could give you a major debate on this issue.  Go look at a
couple.

One other point I wish to make:

The angle of the tuning pin hole should be such that so the string
leaving the tuning pin coil when it is 1/8" from the plate and is at
90 degrees to the pin.  It matters not one wit what that angle is as
long as those conditions are met.  The heights of the bearing bars,
felts, etc., dictate the angle of the tuning pin hole.

If you can find an action model or drawing with plate fraction and
strings you will grasp some of the problems the designers had to
contend with.

Now that should all make sense don't yo think?

		Newton