Counter bearing treatment

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:15:38 -0200

> Then again, I suppose the keybed could be made to drop down for action
> access.

Viennese F-p's have a removable frame under the keyframe for this purpose, while
still their design is so that the hammers over-center on striking.

> >I have often wondered why in grands the pins are highter than the
> >strings or why they could not be the same level as in uprights.
>
> * They could be if you were willing to tune upside down in the action
> cavity[...] Tuning pins could be made with an Allen socket in the bottom (top?) for
> an alternative Felliniesque sort of tuning experience[...]

At least one of Cristofori's designs and two of Robert Wornum's grands are tuned from
above and strung below the pierced-through pinblocks; Henri Herz'
'upside-down-striking' grand (like the Wornums, it is strung _below_ the soundboard)
tuned from below but with the pinblock face at a severe angle from the string plane.
The point of these pre-1850 designs was to strike toward the nut like uprights, since
with lower tension it is possible with a heavy blow temporarily to spoil termination
by knocking strings off the nut; in the latter three there is no gap for hammers
between the pinblock and the rest of the structure - the last gasps of all-wood
framing. The agraffe was patented in the 1820's, though at first it really was a
staple.

Given that bearing between the tuning pin and speaking length of the string is
desirable, the string doesn't much care then how it is oriented between each
successive pair, so long as the cumulative amount of bearing is reasonable.

Clark