Counter bearing treatment

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:19:08 +0100

Del... this is of interest to me. I have this Grotrain that I have mentioned a
bit about and it is more or less configured as Jon  re-configured his Baldwin.
In addition in the treble section it has a non muted section between the brass
half round which passes over a section brass half round (about 3 inches long)
before going to the pins. The tenor is identical except that there is a thick
felt strip about a half inch wide for the strings to rest a bit on.. just enough
to mute them.

Problem is with this piano is that there is like tons of energy leakage through
the aggraffes and even across the first half round. Drives me nuts really, and I
have been considering using the wide felt rest common in Yamaha tenor sections..
and like what this Baldwin R had to quite it down. I have hedged tho as muting
these sections isnt neccessarily going to help the fact that there is so much
energy leakage.

Oddly enough... this G.S. has quite a bit of rendering problems as well.

Thoughts... suggestions ??

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway