Tune it where it is

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:19:48 -0500

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:10:11 -0500
From: Frank Cahill <fcahill@erols.com>

Good advice , John, but Al Sanderson (inventor of the accutuner) says never raise more than 20 cents sharp or else risk breaking the string. But, I guess you have been doing it without any problems. How far can one go without breaking a string?

Why do you tune the bass after tuing the plain strings?

Hi Frank,

Al Sanderson never invented music wire and in piano production they certainly don't raise them 20 cents at a time. Strings have their breaking point which will be found either gradually or suddenly. I like the "sudden" approach.

Bass strings are less forgiving and more expensive to replace, so you don't really want to go overboard in bringing them too sharp of where they want to be.  I seldom raise would strings beyond pitch, preferring one or two quick passes instead.

As I recall, music wire is supposed to be good for a load of 40% greater than that for which it was designed. Perhaps this is a good place for a math expert to jump in. Maybe I've been overstreaching it!!!!!!!

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON Canada