Stocking The Tool Box

Gatesfam6@AOL.COM Gatesfam6@AOL.COM
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:34:02 EST

My first experience with being unprepared came one day after traveling to a
near by state for a tuning. I got there, opened up the piano, muted off the
strings, placed my tuning hammer on the pin when the handle promptly feel to
the keybed while the hammerhead was still snug on the pin. I was very
fortunate to have the student hammer I started out with in restringing box. I
had never considered the importance of having a backup before that moment,
and have never been without one since. I have found that the more prepared
you are for any service you might encounter the more likely you are to get
the extra work. For example, if you can do a bench repair in the next 20
minutes, vers. taking it home with you, making the repair in your shop, and
dropping it back off the next time your in the neighborhood, you will be more
likely to get the extra repair job. And it is much more cost effective to
boot! I carry enough tools, equipment, and spare parts to do everything short
of a complete rebuild, and refinish. I carry a complete restringing kit, A
well stocked Mohawk touchup kit (with all the polishes and dust rags you
could ever want ), a very large fisherman's tackle box with all the little
drawers and bins which are just perfect for all those various parts, one
small tuning bag with all the essentials for a normal (if there is such a
thing) run of the mill visit, and one very large (expensive) professional
tool case with every tool imaginable (even the ones that are worthless) with
all the bells and whistle, for no other purpose than to overwhelm and impress
the first time client. Over kill?...maybe so, but when you really need
something, it makes it all worthwhile. And it more then makes up for the
extra gas you expend carrying all that extra crap form heck to breakfast day
in and day out. The choice and the consequence of it are yours to decide.
Good luck.

Paul Gates RPT
Farmington Ut.