Young Chang Syndrome

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 07:20:19 +0100

I do not know what Young Chang used / uses... but the sypmtoms you describe are very typical of graphite being used in the bushings. Graphite is .... cystalline formed and doesnt respond well to heat genereated by repeated use.. or so the explanation goes. Tho there may be other contributing factors to this problem when
graphite is present.

Generally, the solution is easy enough, but time consuming. I repin, and in the process use the bushing reamer to lightly clean out a bit of the graphite, then work a bit of teflon powder into the bushing with a burnishing tool. I have been doing this for several years now and have yet to have a repeat of the problem.

August Forster pianos used some kind of clear solution for some years as a lubricant. This stuff, what ever it was ended up hardening to some kind of glueish stuff. The centers would frezze up and stay that way. In such cases I have found you just have to re-bush the flanges.. or simply buy new - prebushed ones.

Telfon powder is the only thing I have ever seen that really works (and lasts) as a bushing lubricant.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway