Refinishing with Water-Base

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:18:46 -0500

Terry,
I think you neglected to mention the reason for breaching the layers on your
final rub. Were you not wet sanding the finish with water before the finish
developed full cure?

I have found the water and sanding do not mix on a water-borne finish.
Although it is not as extreme as wet sanding a lacquer finish with lacquer
thinner
it is still softening the finish and causing blotching.

I had one product which actually lifted off in a sheet from sanding with water
even
after three days drying. Three days is not full cure but the minimum period
before
final rub.

PianoLac is a great product developed by an actual, working, piano refinisher.
Just to touch a bit on the product's grain-filling sanding sealer, a filler is
still
best to help avoid pulling-in over time. Filling the short-pores and pin holes
is
where this material excels, deep pores should be filled with PianoLac Grain
Filler.

Spray on

Jon Page

At 04:40 AM 02/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List:
>snip<
>
>In summary, I don't know if Enduro is any more problematic than any other
>water-base paint at this point. The review/tests that appeared in a recent
>issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine indicated that it was superior to the
>other six-or-so water-base paints they tried. I will have a definitive
>opinion within 3 weeks whether I had better luck with Pianolac! I know I
>won't have anything before your 8-day deadline. Let me know if you want more
>info after I have rubbed-out the Pianolac finish. Good luck!
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com