7/8 keyboards

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:21:02 -0500

Brian L Jane wrote:

>What do you any of you know about retrofitting a keyboard with a 7/8 size
>action? I have a client who has located a company on the web and is
>considering doing this to her Baldwin SF Grand [quite a fine instrument]
>and I am not sure how to advise her. I have never heard of "DS Keyboards"
>in PA. Here is their web address: www.dskeyboards.com

>It appears that having this done would increase greatly the side bearing
>at the center rail and effect the touch, not to mention quite a few other
>things.

>What kind of experience has been had out there with this kind of thing?
>How would this effect the value of the piano?

Dear Brian,

David Steinbuhler makes his keyboards so that the balance rail is on a line
between the front of the key and the capstan line.  So he is observing
basic rules of geometry.

Their grand keyboards are precision balanced with smooth front weights and
smooth strike weights using Stanwoods patented system and he designs key
ratio to attain best overall ratio.  So if you give him a keyboard to
reduce and it plays like a truck you'll get back a narrow keyboard that
plays easily.

As to your comment: "...not to mention quite a few other things."

If you could be more specific it would provide more specific discussion
material on the subject.  Seriously... what other specific concerns do you
have?

I've had professional experience with DS Keyboards and I'm impressed with
their dedication and what they have accomplished.   They have had a few
clients for whom having a narrow keyboard has changed their clients life in
the most wonderful way by giving back the ability to play repertoire that
was inaccessible previously due to small hands.

As to the value of the instrument with a second narrow keyboard... to
certain people with small hands it would be much more valuable!

David Stanwood

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com