The Acronyms PSO &POS (was Speed...etc.)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:32:13 EST

In a message dated 2/27/00 3:56:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
istuner@islandia.is writes:

<< What´s the difference between POS and PSO?

 Is the former one to be considered a chunk of fecal matter?  Is that right?

The fact that not everybody understands acronyms is a good reason not to use
them.  PSO stands for Piano Shaped Object and while not really offensive, it
is an easy dismissal without giving any information as to why.  I used to see
just about every piano on this List described as a PSO.  Any difficulty
whatsoever, any challenge, any inconvenience, any situation that requires
effort and skill that a piano technician can make money at merits the piano a
PSO designation.  That is why I am against using the term.

The other, POS, you are right about.  It represents only a further
degradation of attitude on the part of someone who does not like the normal
challenges of our work. Many people stoop to saying it in a moment of disgust
or frustration but it doesn't belong on a List for professional piano
technicians.

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin