Tightening the plate...& breaking it.

CHMUS@AOL.COM CHMUS@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:35:28 EST

After restringing an upright about 6 years ago, I had subcontracted a tuner
to chip up the piano and do a few rough tunings.  This tuner (without my
knowing it) brought in another tuner who was sight impaired and instructed
him to tighten all of the plate screws and then pull up the pitch.  On this
particular upright the nose bolts were standard wood screws not unlike the
rest of the plate screws... Anyway.. the plate broke that day in about four
places.. They said it made quite a noise.