Tightening the plate...

Gina Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:43:32 -0500

Terry,

On new pianos at the dealer's store, you probably should check to see if the
plate screws/bolts are tightened since these are straight from the factory.
As with everything else in new pianos, adjustments are necessary. The supply
houses sell these tools. Tighten them just enough to be snug but not so
tight that you might strip the screw holes.

On in-home pianos, I would be careful about tightening them. Just remember
that at the times when humidity is high, the wood has swollen. When the
humidity is low, the wood has contracted. It's better for these screws/bolts
not to be too tight nor too loose. Always remember to allow for those
humidity changes. I don't tighten in-home pianos except when I find
instability problems. Then I check the plate bolts. If they are loose, by
that I mean they need than just a slight turn, I will tighten them. But
never too snug.

Gina
----- Original Message -----
From: <pianolover@worldspy.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2000 12:45 AM
Subject: Tightening the plate...

> Hi all,
>
> What is the proper method for tightening plate screws, and do I need some
kind of tool to measure the amount of torque? As a newbie working as a floor
tuner, I currently service mostly new pianos, but trade-ins, and home
tunings will bring me in touch with older pianos as well. I want to make
sure I follow the correct and best method for doing this, so I can avoid big
problems. Thanks!