Piano out of tune on recording

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:39:31 -0600

>I tuned for Dave Brubeck here in a Madison nightclub back in the mid 80's,
my
>ET days.  The club had a nice, new Baldwin grand and I did my very best on
it
>at all times.  Of course, Brubeck loved it and I have never met a more
>congenial artist.  I was in awe, as if I were talking to a saint, just to be
>there speaking to him.  I drank up every note of his performance

Also his Bass player, WOW! talk about two guy's in tune with each other.

>Of course, the flawed tuning in the 1959 recording is no reflection on
>Brubeck's artistry nor of the high quality of recording techniques used 41
>years ago.  I'll bet that the fact that the piano was less than well
prepared
>was simply not thought of,  noticed or even understood.

Bill things have a way of happening on stage, At a recent concert with the
Regina Symphony and Angela Chang.  A Beethoven marathon, all 5 concerto's.
#4 the lady is beating the Bb's like no tomorrow,
The final cadenza it sounded as if Bb5 had slipped quite badly.  My seat
was not big enough to hide in.

The unison had not slipped, one string had broken thro' to the hardener,
the change in pitch of the partials sure made it stand out.  How ever, the
Artist and Maestro, never noticed a thing. I was maybe a little paranoid
from my observations, thro' the rehersals. When ever i prep a piano for any
public event I still get the jitters.

Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.