Cryogenic string treatment, worth it or not?

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:30:25 -0600

First off...yes, I already did a search of pianotech archives,
and CAUT archives, and the internet....

Mostly what I'm finding is about "guitar strings" ...now that
said:

I was taking a paper patern for Bass strings on a small Christman grand
last night and the customer asked about having the new bass strings
treated @our local Cryogenics lab. I've done some web searching, but
I don't see a source for someone using Cryogenics before winding
the strings. I'd think there'd be some issues using this treatment on
custom wound strings. There's got to be a big difference in co-efficients
between copper and the steel core. I'm worried the copper could
become loose from the steel if this is done.

 I told them the only way to tell if there actually was an improvement in tone was to buy 2 sets of strings...or a partial set and test them side by side. Even then, I'm not sure the average customer is going to hear the difference/or be willing to pay extra for something they cannot hear.
he said he thought we could get a set treated for $1 per string.

Anyone ever actually try doing this? Other than additional price,
pros & cons?

I can find a list of various places that will do this, I was just wondering
if it was worth the bother and if it can be done after the strings
are wound.

Or is this just another "gimmick"?

Thanks,
Richard Adkins