Steinway clicks, clacks & groans

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:02:32 -0500

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> Friends, romans, klaviertecknicians,
>
> 1.)  I know now how lucky I've been.  This past week I was doing some
> regulation on a '82 vintage S&S B.  Whilst checking it out, I heard a new
> (to me) click.  It occurred not only on attack, but release.
>
> This is a hybrid teflon action (made during transition back to cloth, it
> got cloth hammer bushings, and leftover teflon repetitions), so teflon
> hammerflange bushing couldn't be it.  Teflon bushings checked out well.
>
> Where was the click?  Turns out the repetition spring coil was slapping
> back and forth inside the post, aided and abetted by the teflon holder.
> Teflon, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...
>
> Anyway,  I haven't done anything to it yet.  Will I encounter serious
> problems if I try to slip thin cloth balance rail punching(s) in next to
> the spring coil?

You'll make yer fingers good and sore if you try that. Find yerself some size 18
pins (brass, spotted "rejects" seem to work best...:-) ) and thin flange bushing
cloth. Push out the teflon tumbler, push in/pull through the cloth bushing, shove
in a pin, snip, cello. Next..... Takes a couple of hours to get through a set.
You'll be rid of that annoying, almost surreptitious, maddening click. (I've heard
the teflon tumbler/spring combination produce some very annoying squeaks, besides
The Click.)

*You shouldn't have to pull out the spring to do this, btw.

> ***If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know", pretend
> you don't know me.

I like it, I like it!
--
Ron Torrella, RPT