Steinway clicks, clacks & groans

Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:01:09 -0600

Friends, romans, klaviertecknicians,

1.)  I know now how lucky I've been.  This past week I was doing some
regulation on a '82 vintage S&S B.  Whilst checking it out, I heard a new
(to me) click.  It occurred not only on attack, but release.

This is a hybrid teflon action (made during transition back to cloth, it
got cloth hammer bushings, and leftover teflon repetitions), so teflon
hammerflange bushing couldn't be it.  Teflon bushings checked out well.

Where was the click?  Turns out the repetition spring coil was slapping
back and forth inside the post, aided and abetted by the teflon holder.
Teflon, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Anyway,  I haven't done anything to it yet.  Will I encounter serious
problems if I try to slip thin cloth balance rail punching(s) in next to
the spring coil?

2.)  S&S D (ex-CD) '49 vintage - complaints that the shift pedal makes a
lot of noise.  What do you know, they weren't kidding.   Tightened ALL
screws on lyre, lyre board, leg cam, leg cam backup and anywhere else I
could get a screwdriver.  That helped, but nasty noise was still there when
pedaling.

Finally traced the remaining noise to leg cups slapping on the ends of the
stage truck arms.  Tried tightening those bolts - no effect ;-{

The cure was to get keyboard end up on sawhorse & 2x4 (by myself,
natcherlie: it being 0730 Sunday morning) , remove cup and put a patch of
cloth between cup and arm.  While I had legs off, I tightened leg plates, too.

I did not return for the student recital that afternoon...

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
             Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
***If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know",
pretend you don't know me.