re inventing the wheel again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 00:26:05 -0600

>As always, another well considered approach.    I've been toying with the
>idea of a machine, but they leave so many questions. And a machine leaves
>so much room for error of something isn't just 'right' about some of the
>strings.    Guess I'm stuck withe lobes for quite awhile yet.
>les bartlett

Sorry Les, this isn't for you specifically, but more a general observation
along the lines you indicate.

The ear seems to have a "minimum garbage" setting that is conspicuously
missing from the hardware versions of tuning computers. In my often dubious
opinion, that's the thing that makes the ear indispensable to the process,
even with the machine. Having done a fair amount of computer programming
myself, I can see why that's the case. It's pretty bloody tough to quantify
a subjective analog quantity to a digital scale. What assigned integer
value will qualify as the minimum threshold for adequacy, or do we need a
double precision floating point variable to handle it? It can't be a
boolean function, because that would be either true, or false. Perhaps
there will eventually be a "thereabouts" variable available to the digital
prestidigitators that will do the trick, but in the mean time, it's listen,
listen, listen. Realistically, there's plenty of evidence to the effect
that the most reliable combination may be aurally validated digital. Then
again, if it was all that critical either way in real world situations,
wouldn't the case for either aural or digital methods be more obvious? Just
what is being debated in this aural/digital thing? From what I've seen,
experienced, and read on this list ad nauseam, I must conclude that the
quality of the tuning is ultimately in the eye of the customer, but will be
debated infinitely and far beyond all reason among the practitioners as a
case of "my A's shinier than your A", and "I have better octaves", or
temperaments, or unisons, or hammer technique. There are work arounds for
the problems encountered in both aural and digital tuning methods and
associated hardware and software, so neither method seems to be a perfect
or  perfectable way of dealing with the imperfect pieces of .. musical
shelving that we deal with on an everyday basis. There are tuners out there
who can't tune their way out of a paper bag who have fiercely loyal
customers, while other tuners who are well above average can't feed
themselves tuning pianos. There are also tuners who aren't that good at
what they do that aren't making it and others that are very good that have
more work than they can handle. How does all this equate? Maybe it's not
the fork, or the machine, or the hammer technique, or the yellow page ad,
or the angle of the check pattern on the sport coat that really makes the
difference to the customer. Maybe any decent and conscientiously applied
tuning by a personable tech that gives the impression that he/she has the
welfare of the customer in mind rather than the number of dollars he/she
can extract from the transaction will stand on it's own merit, without
carrying a label signifying either a machine, or an aural process. Whatever
you do tuning a piano, it could be done better by someone's criteria, so
why not just do the best you can under the circumstances, with whatever
means you have at your disposal, assuming that your methods and results
will change with time, for better or worse, and just get on with it? None
of us, I hope, are what we were last year, or what we will be next year.
It's called "growth", which sounds like a skin condition if you didn't know
the definition, but nevertheless is an indication that we are learning. The
secession of learning is death, and we shouldn't be too anxious to arrive.

Bad week. I appreciate your indulgence. Thanks for listening.

Ron N