Tendonitis

Charles Farinella farinella@ne.mediaone.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:44:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 PDtek@AOL.COM wrote:

> This isn't the first time, but it's back. Tendonitis in my "key pounding"
> hand and wrist. I try to hold it down to four pianos a day, but it just
> flares up now and again. I would like to alternate more with shop work, but
> sometimes its just all tuning.

I have suffered with this for over 10 years.  In my case shop work is no
relief as my elbows, wrists, and finger joints are all affected.  I am
much better now, but at one time tightening action screws was
excruciating.

> I give my hand a rest and move it around a few times during tunings and try
> not to pound any harder than I need to but I can't shake it.

I doubt this will be of much help.

> Does anyone know of any effective therapy that would help? (Professional or
> self.) I could see how strength training would help but seems like it might
> just irritate an area that was already prone to injury. I enjoy my avocation
> as a musician and fear that I may eventually sacrifice mobility in my hand.

Strength training is helpful.  Painful, but helpful. :-)  Ice will reduce
the inflammation.  Cortisone can now be administered externally by
physical therapists, and I have found that very helpful.  Injections were
great, but only a short term solution.

Ice, light weights, stretching, and medication to get the inflammation
down.  That has been my experience.  The permanent solution is the one I
have been avoiding, yet was the first suggestion given to me long ago.
Take a year off.

Good luck.

--
Charles Farinella