Wurlitzer Harmonics

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:39:25 -0600

I have just gone through this on a new Wurlitzer Grand. On this one the
string were not level from the factory. Start there. I took the upper
dampers out down past the flat dampers. I used a brass rod with a notch
(from Joe Goss) in it and first pushed the strings down from above
(about 1/8"). Back of the bridge also. Then pushed them up equal from
below, where I could reach. Then using Joe Goss's little brass leveling
tool I sat it on the strings and found which one didn't touch. Continued
to work till they were all level. Checked the hammer to string contact.
Returned the dampers, retuned and the 8-9 problem notes were fine. C5
was still causing a problem as I played across it. Two notes above to
one below. I would hear the chirp as the C played. Turned out it was the
note above, it chirped as the damper landed. I retuned that note's
unisons and no longer hear the chirp.

Best of luck.
Rich

I also thought the problem was from the dampers and had new Yamaha felt
to install. It wasn't.