termins. and inharms. Bibliography

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 12:39:42 +0100

Ok... here we go with a list of books / articles I have that touch
either directly or
indirectly on the issue of Termination points. Some of them refer to
terminations in
general.. some to terminations of vibrating systems other then those
with strings...
tho comments are laced here and there pointing to pararells in function.
Interesting
stuff all in all.

"The Educated Piano"  Ed McMorrow

"Design and tone in the Mechanoacoustic piano. Part 3. Piano strings and
scale design"
Harold A. Conklin

"Design and tone in the Mechanoacoustic piano. Part 2. Piano structure"
Harold A.
Conklin.

"Five Lectures on The Acoustics of the Piano"  edited by Anders
Askenfelt

"The Departure of the Overtones of a Vibrating Wire from a True Harmonic
Series"  R.S.
Shankland and J.W. Coltman

"Fundementals of Music Acoustics"  Arthur H. Benade

"Music, Physics and Enginerring"  Harry F. Olson

"The Physics of Musical Instruments"  Neville H. Fletcher  Thomas D.
Rossing.

These last three are Books available online at Amason.com

The rest are in article form. Five lectures is out of Print but
contacting Askenfelt
directly in Sweeden by e-mail may get you a article form copy as I have.
Five lectures
should almost be like required reading as it aquaints the reader with
many sides of
piano structure in a simple and very informative way. Good knowledge to
have in your
toolbox. Olsons book is a bit tough to hang on to... but analyses
musical physics in
the perspective of electrical functions. Benades book is perhaps the
first one to buy
for those of us starting out on this road.

I really do encourage one and all to start building up a library,,,
start
assimiliating what you can. Its unbelievable just how pertainant this
stuff ends up
really being to everyday work. And it provides for a good basis for
discussion of
different material in forums such as this list, which inevitably causes
one to sit and
page through trying to find out more about what that last posting from
Ron, Del,
Newton, Coleman or any number of folks both great and small just
posted... grin.

Anyone who has any other good books or articles of interest ???? I'd
like to read some more about Conklins work on the fat round front
termination if anyone knows much about it.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.