H C Bay Grand

Thu, 17 Feb 2000 06:35:13 -0500

Jim -

I can't speak to the metal plate at the bottom of the pin block, but I
have applied CA to entire pin blocks quite a few times in customer's
homes with no problem.  However, taking precautions is exactly how you
avoid having problems.
I suggest to the customer that they stay away from the room I am using it
in, always provide for a bit of air, and prefer to wear a double
cartridge respirator.  They only cost around $25 and are a very good
investment - it is wise to use a respirator when dealing with many of the
solvents we come into contact with.
The odds are, of course, that you would not have any problem should you
decide not to wear the respirator, but I personally know of one fellow
doing a lot of CA repairs in a home who all of a sudden had a severe
respiratory reaction, as did Bill Simon of this list awhile back, and
barely make it outside into the fresh air in time.  Safety is something
to practice before and during the event, not after!
Suggest to the customer that some air circulate in the room for several
hours after you are done, as it "gasses off' for awhile.  You certainly
do not want any customers harmed in any way.

Mark Potter