driving tip reduces blind spot (off topic)

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:01:25 PST

Hi all-

My tip for today I got from my parents retirement magazine, now endorsed by
safety experts (whatever that means)

'normal' placement of side view mirrors allows the driver to see the side of
their car, overlapping coverage with the center rear-view mirror.

With the new alignment, the mirrors are set farther out to cover the blind
spot.  To find the new alignment, while in the car, lean left 'till your
head touches the window.  Line up the left mirror to just see the back
corner of your car.  Now lean right about an equal amount and set the right
mirror.

What you are looking for is a car coming up from behind will transition from
the center mirror, to the side mirror, to your side vision without having to
turn around (losing sight of what's in front!)  A secondary benefit is that
at night, headlights from the rear will not bother you from the side
mirrors.  Took me a few days to get used to, but now I like the extra
coverage.

Stay safe out there!

Ron Koval
DrivingallaroundChicagoland