Tendonitis

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:07:20 EST

In a message dated 2/16/00 3:29:20 AM !!!First Boot!!!, PDtek@AOL.COM writes:

<< Does anyone know of any effective therapy that would help? (Professional
or
 self.) I could see how strength training would help but seems like it might
 just irritate an area that was already prone to injury. I enjoy my avocation
 as a musician and fear that I may eventually sacrifice mobility in my hand.

 I would appreciate any suggestions.

 By the way, I figure that I have tuned about 12,000 pianos. Could this be
the
 beginning of the end? I hope not.

 Dave Bunch

Dave

I am starting to notice a little pain in my pounding hand, especially the
middle finger, which I use most of the time. I am in about the same boat you
are, 23 years of tuning. Maybe it's time to think about a different
career.....  (Naw).

I made a pounder for my wife. I might resort to it myself. I took two bass
hammers and doweled and glued them together. One hammer fits into the palm of
your hand, the other, of course, hits the keys.

I also made an octave pounder. I took a 3/4" dowel, and screwed two hammers
on the ends, so that they will hit an octave. So that your thumb won't get
sore holding on to it, I added a leather strap on the top, to put your hand
through. This allows you to tilt the pounder so you can play a fifth, or
forth, etc., using one end of the tool and one of your fingers.

Willem