1099

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:32:58 -0500

Gi

Gina Carter wrote:

> [...]

Many hi-tech workers (including me part-time) work as contractors here in VA.
Most contractors  work for only one company at a time, 40+hours a week. When the
contract is over, they go to another company. There is no doubt that these are
contractors. So the bit above about Terry's job being part of his income does
not make sense.

It does get complicated...  When I left my full-time job to become a full-time
piano tech, I worked as a part-time contractor at my old company.  Although the
company claimed me as a contractor, the IRS didn't see it the same way.  Unless
I were to work as a contractor at a different company, the IRS views me as a
part-time emplyee....this means that I can't deduct mileage or most other
deductions.  But, if I work at just one other company as a contractor and
return, there is no problem.

So the company manages to pay me with  minimal paperwork, I have to pay all
taxes (quarterly), and I cannot make any deductions against the job. Not the
best arrangement, but it helps pay bills.

In Terry's case, he could be considered a contract employee...I think.  If one
is a contract worker, he has to start somewhere.  In my case,  I get a contract
which I review and sign.  Perhaps Terry should get a contract.

--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild