Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:50:32 EST

In a message dated 02/13/2000 1:31:28 PM Central Standard Time,
pneely@thegrid.net writes:

> David what about older like in the forties and 50's  I'm wanting pick one up
>  to rebuild  what price range , one in the  condition that was described
hear
>  Pat Neely

Pat,
If you are referring to the value of Steinways I am not sure what you mean by
"older."
If what you are referring to is a later "L"  Steinway, I have found the
figures I stated earlier to be right in the ballpark, though the "L" is
considered to be a better piano and will generally command a couple more
thousand retail.

I can relate to the sticker shock of the value of older Steinways needing
full restorations. I wholesaled Steinways across the country at a time when I
could buy a truckload (literally) for $2500 apiece and they would sell for
$5500 apiece in California to rebuilders (1978 to 1985).  When I started
paying attention again to wholesale prices I almost had a heart attack.

David Koelzer
DFW TX