<< Subject: Re: birdcages >>

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:13:13 -0600

> No information to impart, but just wondering--our Oz and Kiwi
friends appear
> to have more--er--experience with birdcages than in the States.
>
> Stan Ryberg
> Barrington IL

In the late 70's some one filled a shipping container full of
birdcages which found its way to San Francisco.  For a while the
Union St. antique shops always had two or three for sale in the
$250 range.  The cases were astonishing works of exotic inlaid
veneers, inlaid brass for the name.  Brass candle sconses in the
front.  After the tuning first one, I swore off, but occasionally
got suckered in to working on one.  Well there was ONE that was
servicable.
	The rumor I heard was that the guy who shipped them from England
had all he could handle as people were only too glad for him to
take them away, saving a dumping fee. They were "beautiful" pieces
of furniture.   If they were chests of drawers they would have been
$1200 wholesale I would guess.  Some people made wine or liquor
cabinets from them.  I wanted to make one that upon pressing a key,
doors would open and a serving tray would fold down.  Unfortunatly
I had more imagination than time on my hands, or perhaps I wasted a
lot of time imagining such things.     ---ric