Restringing

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:43:03 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]

Ok... I can buy this much... But there is an aspect to this issue that I have to
admit fascinates me and seems to be a point which continiuosly gets passed by.
And that is this buisness about the effect of the termination point on
inharmonicity.

The sharper and thiner the front termination point the lower the inharmonicity,
and the rounder and wider the termination point the more. This due to the fact
that the thin and sharp allow for more flexing about the termination point, with
more bending attributed to the wide and round...

Now compare that to the fact that the higher partials of lower notes tend to be
sharp... and increasingly so as one goes up the partial ladder, then their
coincidents from higher fundementals. This is the reason for the need to stretch
the octaves..

ok so far... One thing I have been toying with in my mind is to take a piano
which has a V termination point along the whole tenor / treble area and graduate
it. Starting at the lower tenor with a thin sharp profile... gradually getting
to a wide and round one in the high treble.

This should in theory then have to some degree the effect of balancing out the
inharmoncity of the scale so that the partial ladders for different notes are
easier to match.. ?? grin... or am I off on some bizarre tangent again..?

In any case it might be fun to give it a whirl and see what happens. Of course
there are going to be other consequences dealing with sustain and strength of
different partials.. but what the heck...

Any thoughts ?

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.