Steinway Value...an update

Owen J Greyling, RPT greyco@kingston.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:41:14 -0500

List,

Thankyou to all who responded to my query about the value of a 1904 Steinway
"0" that I thought was an "L".  The situation actually went like this.

Pentecostal Church with very exuberant bunch of musicians. (nothing wrong
with that)
Large congregation with one of the parishioners actually being a piano
tuner. (yes, he can tune, but can't do anything else)
96 year old STEINWAY that tuner swears is a wonderful instrument. (just
won't stay in tune for the weekend, extremely worn action, broken strings,
pinblock actually has some string hanging out a few pin holes, six cracks
you can see your shoes through etc.)

I simply wanted to have the experience of all you guys & gals behind me when
I went into the lions den.

Even though I do rebuilding, pinblocks, recapping bridges, refinishing, etc
this piano needed a soundboard, so I priced the job with subs for the main
belly work and refinishing.  With shipping, the price came out to more then
what they could buy a new Yamaha for.

So, included in my repair estimate, I offered, drawing upon your expertise,
what I consider to be a fair market value for this instrument.  $ 2700.00 .
I await the reply.

                         Thankyou for your help..Owen.