Restringing

Sat, 12 Feb 2000 12:25:19 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne <richardb@c2i.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 12, 2000 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Restringing

> David ilvedson wrote:
>
> > I would tend to go with what was designed in the piano.
> > Emory cloth will make the smallest change.  We don't want to
> > flatten it out though.  String grooves usually not very deep.  It
> > seems to me that a sharper capo means less surface area to
> > take the pressure of the string and possibly more cutting into
> > the capo.
> >

> Thats true... but thats only part of the picture, the two different
profiles have
> different and very measurable affects on the amount of inharmonicity, and
depending on
> the scale tension, and the hardness of the iron, the effect of one can be
more
> desireable both from an acoustic point of view and from a wear and tear
point of view.
> You also have such things as the length of the front duplex, the angle the
string has
> from the capo up to the ubar or whatever is employed.
>
> All in all I tend to agree that its best to go with what the designer /
builder started
> with. Sometimes that means a nearly flat top (bottom) on the capo and a
very thin
> surface area. 0,5 mm is given most often in these cases.

I might point out that you are both making the assumption that what you see
on the piano is what the designer intended.  This is, of course, not always
the case.  The V-bar profile that ends up in the piano is usually what the
foundry workers put on it.  Or the plate grinders in the piano factory.  It
may or may not bear any resemblance to what the designer intended.  All too
frequently it does not.

Del