Aarmor Harpsichord

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 12:10:38 -0800

Has anyone on this list tuned or worked on a harpsichord brand
named Aarmor?  I had never heard of it until recently when I
uncrated one and set it up for a client, (it was purchased used
on the east coast and shipped).  Yesterday I had the pleasure of
tuning the beast.

I'm really not one for harpsichords but I'll tell you this thing
was an absolute delight!  It is built like a tank- very heavy
rim, maple ply pin block, wood adjustable jacks, heavy bracing,
the works.  The case was a plain oak veneer.  The tuning pins
were the square head zither type instead of the difficult to
manage tapered oblong style with no hole, (I hate those things).
It had four ranks of strings including a 16 foot!!  Lots of
volume too.  Instead of the typical flimsy sliding stop knobs it
had an impressive pedal lyre with five locking pedals.  Get this-
the guy bought the thing for an amazing $3,800.00 bucks!!  I
would have guessed $20,000.00.  Now if that isn't a deal I don't
know what is.  The stability of this thing was truly amazing.
When I set a string I mean it was set.  I breezed through the
tuning in no time and it held like a rock.  I wish we had one of
these at the university.

It is my understanding that the company who made these went out
of business sometime in the seventies.  They apparently made
several models including one even bigger than this one.  This
model was about seven foot!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV