A Case Study

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:47:40 +0100

Yesterday I had an experience I just had to share with you all. We've
been on about this buisness of when to say no several times lately and
this relates to that.

I was on my way home late afternoon when my mobil (cellular) rang. A
local sound studio was to have a recording with one of the national TV
stations later that evening and needed the piano tuned.

Just a week earlier I had been in there with some players from the
Conservatory and a visiting ragtime pianist from England. A nice brand
new Yamaha U1 had been rented for the occasion and I tuned it for the
session. I had suggested earlier on to the fellow responsible for
arranging the session that he rent at least this much quality as I knew
this particular studio had no piano of their own and usually had on loan
some beater.

Indeed this was the case last week, a 25 year old 110 Røsler (Czech,
petrof variant). Beat to sh--, horrible bass, unbelievable wear on the
Hammers.. etc. etc. ad absurdum. Now this sound studio has Mercedes
solutions when it comes to almost everything, except the piano, and I
have been on about this with them for over a year now, trying patiently
to inform them that it was very bad tactics to keep using wrecks for
pianos.

Anyways, so I go in yesterday for this "very important" recording
session, and sure enough they are going to use this Røsler. I just shook
my head, tried once again to tell the guy how idiotic this was, but
proceeded to tune the piano as best as was possible. I must say I did
quite a fine job of it as well... as far as was possible in anycase.

As I said... the bass on this piano was horrible... several bad string
pars.. and in particular C2 which was so far out of wack that no matter
what you did it sounded both horribly flat and horribly sharp at the
same time. Lets put it this way... if you tuned C2-C3 as a 2:1 ,, the
4:2 was beating at around 6 bps. I kid you not. Lets not even think
about the higher coincidents yet.  Tuning as a 4:2  was appropriate for
keeping 3rds and 10ths in line with neighbors, but yeilded the most
ridiculous blending of sounding both sharp and flat at the same time.
Tuning to a higher coincedent just sounded awfully awfully flat.. and
ruined the progression of 3rds and 10ths... Nothing to do... I ended up
with something between a 4:2 and a 2:1 so that my 3rds and 10ths were
acceptable, and the octave sounded least bad otherwise.

After nearly two hours of trying to make this thing sound at least
something like a piano, I finally called it a nite and after one more
round of this time a bit more firm admonishing about the shamefullness
of putting this thing in front of serious musicians, I went home.

Two hours later this fellow has the gaul to call me (now nearly 8PM) and
says the piano is out of tune in the bass and wants me to come back (for
free cuz it was obviously my fault) to fix it. He went on to inform me
that he noticed it right away after I had left and wanted to know if I
thought the piano was in tune when I left. I replied with...

"wait a second... you say you noticed this 2 hours ago, on the evening
of a recording session, and you wait til now to call me ????? ".  I also
informed him in no so uncertain terms that the piano was well tuned for
what it was, and that it was high time he realized that as long as he
insisted on using such garbage he should expect less then satisfactory
sound, and that he needed to wake up and buy himself a decent instrument
appropriate to his needs and stop calling piano techs at nite with
accusations and tales of catastrophy.  In short... I simply refused to
go back.

A bit of background before you comment... I am one of 5 different tuners
this guy has done basically the same with. I have talked with the others
and they are of same mind, that they are sick and tired of this fellow,
and wont have anything more to do with him. All have said to him for
some time now, that he needs a decent piano for his kinda work and he
always shines us on about it. And all of us have heard comments from him
about the "poor quality of piano technicians" here in western Norway.
Also one last thing.. this is the only complaint I personally have had
in the last 5 years.

So you tell me.... time to draw the line or what ??

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.