floor tuning job...

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 22:48:27 -0600

Hi Terry,
            I'll try and answer you from two points of view, as a tech and
as a dealer.
>From a technical stand point take your time and do the best you can, if you
are being paid by the unit, the dealer will be just looking at the end result.

As a dealer, I look for several things in a tech.
1. A good quality tuning.
2. Attention to detail, are the hammers spaced, no squeaks in the pedals,
no clicks in the action. regulation, etc. If you are only being paid to
tune, bring the deficiencies to the owners attention.  If he is a good
dealer, he will want them rectified.
3. Professional appearance.
4. A good listener with good people skills.

Working for a good dealership, can give you some great experience, and fast
track you to a solid client base. This client list will own better than
average piano's since they are mostly new. It is better than working for
years on old junker's.

Hope this helps.
Roger

At 05:23 PM 09/02/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I have a couple upcoming interviews at Piano dealer's/showrooms, for the
position as "Floor tuner/prep" guy,  and being a very new Newbie, does
anyone have any suggestions  as to what TO do and what NOT to do during the
interview? I expect to start (I was told) by tuning a piano for them, and
then they will "check" my work. Should I simply go at my own pace, and take
as much time as I need, or should I  go through the process as quickly as
possible? Being new, I will undoubtedly be a bit nervous with all or many
eyes watching. I realize that this kind of job is a great opportunity to
gain experience tuning/regulating lots of pianos, both new and used, so I
want to do my best, of course. Maybe those of you that have been/are
employed by a Piano dealer can give me some helpful hints and insights into
your experience in this area. Thanks!

>Terry Peterson
>LA, CA

>Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com